GUIDED BIOFILM THERAPY
THE MINIMALLY INVASIVE WAY
NO MORE RUBBER CUPS
NO MORE BRUSHES
NO MORE PASTE
LESS USE OF POWER & HAND INSTRUMENTATION
What is Guided Biofilm Therapy?
This process is the systematic solution for the management of dental biofilm. With professional prevention and maintenance as the method of treatment, the state of the art AIRFLOW®, PERIOFLOW® and PIEZON® technologies are used.
Guided Biofilm Therapy consists of the least invasive and most comfortable dental treatment you’ve ever received for teeth cleaning and plaque removal. These are based on achieving appropriate results for an individual patient once their diagnosis has been given.
Benefits of Adopting Guided Biofilm Therapy
- GBT makes patients happy - clean teeth = healthy body
- Prevents periodontal and peri-implant disease
- Early detection of white spots and dental caries
- Maintain implants, restorations and orthodontic appliances
- Higher patient engagement and patient flow
- Decreases downtime (no more gaps, cancellations and no-shows)
- Empowers hygiene teams and reduces staff turnover
- Optimises dental practice workflows
- Increases referrals for dentists and specialists
- Simple and repeatable practice builder
The 8 Steps of the GBT Protocol:
Probing and screening each clinical case for healthy teeth, infections, periodontitis etc.
Make the biofilm visible and give awareness to patients about problematic areas.
Raise awareness about prevention for patients by providing instructions around dental hygiene.
Remove biofilm, stains and any early calculus with AIRFLOW® for natural teeth, restorations, orthodontics and implants.
Remove biofilm in deep pockets and root furcations and on implants with the use of the new and slimmer PERIOFLOW® Nozzle.
06 PIEZON® PS
Remove calculus with EMS PS instrument, taking care to clean pockets with a mini curette.
Tell your patient to smile and do your final check for any remaining biofilm, calculus and protect with fluoride.
A healthy patient is a happy patient. Ask them if they liked the treatment and how they feel afterwards.
GBT is for EVERYONE
Based on clinically proven technologies invented at EMS, Guided Biofilm Therapy was expertly developed by an incredibly knowledgeable team and is used by dental hygienists, general dentists, orthodontics and periodontitis the world over.
As this is a predictable, risk-oriented and very user-friendly type of treatment, it can be adapted for individual patients and different age groups.
PROPHYLAXIS / GENERAL DENTISTRY
- GBT is the new approach in professional prophylaxis for biofilm management.
- GBT is the foundation of a successful prevention of periodontal and peri-implant disease.
- GBT plays an important role in maintaining oral health helping prevent/control oral/systemic diseases such as atherosclerosis, respiratory problems, erectile dysfunction, diabetes, heart problems...
- GBT helps early detection of white spots and caries hence being minimally invasive.
- GBT is the systematic approach for prevention and maintenance of all orthodontic appliances.
- GBT hinders gingival overgrowth, gingivitis and recession.
- GBT helps early detection and subsequent prevention of white spots and caries.
- GBT maintains integrity of the orthodontic appliances hence minimizing biofilm accumulation.
- GBT is the only predictable solution for implant maintenance.
- Treating mucositis with GBT can help prevent peri-implantitis.
- GBT is indispensable for pre-treatment, post-operative and life long maintenance of implants.
- GBT is NO PAIN.
- GBT helps to motivate and encourage oral hygiene in young children.
- GBT builds trust and confidence in the clinician, increasing long term recall which is the basis for a preservation of natural teeth.
- GBT increases compliance in children and adolescence.
- GBT is an optimal tool for patient education, caries prevention and early detection.
- GBT is an effective and minimally invasive procedure to maintain the surface integrity of veneers, crowns and aesthetic restorations.
- GBT should be used prior to bleaching, placing restorations and taking impressions.
- GBT is an integral part of non-surgical periodontal therapy.
- GBT is part of the preparation procedure before any surgical act.
- GBT encourages higher patient motivation in addition to building trust and confidence in the clinician.
- GBT is a key factor for a long term maintenance after all periodontal treatments.
- GBT reduces sensitivity due to its minimal invasiveness.
- GBT assures a quality treatment with precision & safety.
- GBT guarantees maximum patient comfort.
- GBT is the optimal solution for the elderly with a combination of different situations such as inflamed tissues, recessions, caries, restorations, implants, xerostomia and compromised physical abilities making oral care a challenge.
- GBT is great to increase patient compliance and motivation.
- GBT is exceptionally gentle and safe for the elderly.
- GBT is recommended before endodontic treatments to work in a clean environment reducing overall bacterial load and minimize chances of infection.
- GBT is necessary to maintain and control crowns and bridges post treatment.
- GBT is recommended before and after any surgical procedure, to remove biofilm and work in a clean environment.
The Aim of GBT
PRESERVE HEALTHY TEETH
GBT minimizes the use of power and hand instrumentation. AIRFLOW® is minimally invasive on all types of dental tissues: dentine, cementum, enamel and gums. Minimal abrasion for maximum comfort: GBT enables the patient to enjoy natural teeth and implants for much longer.
MAINTAIN ORTHODONTIC APPLIANCES
Orthodontic appliances increase biofilm growth in areas not accessible by daily brushing and traditional prophylaxis. Biofilm creates wire friction, gingivitis and caries. AIRFLOW® with PLUS Powder removes biofilm with full access to critical areas. Safe and effective on teeth and brackets, it prevents caries and hyperplasia.
Biofilm is not always visible to the naked eye. Disclosing biofilm helps to remove all biofilm. GBT prevents caries and gum disease in children and adults. No biofilm = No caries.
TREAT EXPOSED DENTINE
Remove exposed biofilm on dentine with AIRFLOW® PLUS Powder and stop the procedure when the color has disappeared. GBT is the only protocol which guarantees minimal invasiveness through direct visual control. AIRFLOW® PLUS Powder with heated water provides maximum comfort and minimal sensitivity.
DETECT CARIES AT AN EARLY STAGE
Caries often develop in areas not accessible by rubber cups or brushes, such as interdental areas, pits and fissures. AIRFLOW® cleans it all. A final check delivers a more accurate, precise and early detection of caries on clean surfaces. Also, it allows fluoride to access a clean tooth more easily.
PRESERVE AESTHETIC RESTORATIONS
To avoid gum recession - critical factorwhen it comes to aesthetic restorations- biofilm must be removed regularly. GBTprotects your smile through effective but gentle biofilm removal around restoration margins.GBT inhibits stains and colorations.
PRESERVE HEALTHY SOFT TISSUES
GBT step 04 AIRFLOW® removes biofilm in a minimally invasive way. AIRFLOW® PLUS Powder is proven to be gentle on the gingiva and other soft tissues. In contrast, rotary and hand instruments may cause damage.
GBT steps deliver a minimally invasive method to protect implant surfaces. 04 AIRFLOW® and 05 PERIOFLOW® with PLUS Powder are gentle on implant surfaces, while metal instruments may scratch.
AIRFLOW® PLUS Powder easily and safely removes biofilm and early calculus from coronal surfaces and sulcus. The PIEZON® PS NO PAIN Instrument removes the remaining calculus in a minimally invasive way.
While gentle on peri-implant tissues, AIRFLOW® with PLUS Powder safely reaches and cleans any ruggedness on implant surfaces for optimum biofilm removal. GBT is the state-of-the-art approach to implant maintenance.
PERIOFLOW® with PLUS Powder preserves cementum during periodontal maintenance. It effectively removes subgingival biofilm in residual deep pockets. The PIEZON® PS NO PAIN Instrument removes the remaining calculus in a minimally invasive way. Final check ensures that no calculus remains.
PERIOFLOW® with PLUS Powder removes subgingival biofilm with unequalled limitation of peri-implant bleeding.The PIEZON® PI Instrument removes the remaining abutment calculus thereby preserving the implant surface.
Expert Equipment and Products for Dental Practices
EMS has a wide range of professional equipment and products designed for optimal dental care in your practice including:
Join the Guided Biofilm Therapy Revolution Today
Purchase an AIRFLOW® Prophylaxis Master
Where can you buy EMS devices in Australia & New Zealand?
Alternatively you can contact us and speak to one of our friendly and knowledgeable GBT experts.